We’re thrilled to welcome Damon Hill, one of the most celebrated F1 drivers of all time, to the Chateau this June. He’ll be chatting about his career and much more – read on to discover our 10 essential facts about Damon!
1) Damon is still the only son of a Formula One World Champion to go on to claim the title himself. Graham Hill won his first World Championship in 1962 with BRM, and Damon earned the title as part of the Williams F1 team in 1996.
2) Although Damon is most renowned for his F1 career, he didn’t start his motorsport career in cars – he first took to the race track on a motorbike, and still prefers riding bikes to this day.
3) Damon made his F1 debut in 1992 with Brabham – not Williams. However, Damon was working as a test driver for Williams at the time, and was promoted to their race team when Nigel Mansell left Formula One to race IndyCars in America.
4) Throughout his F1 career, Damon had a fierce rivalry with Michael Schumacher. In 1994, the two collided during the final season race at Adelaide – a controversial crash that led to Schumacher taking the win.
5) Damon retired from F1 in 1999, finishing his outstanding career with 22 victories and a World Championship.
6) On the TV show Speed with Guy Martin: F1 Special, former teammate David Coulthard revealed that Damon’s choice of drink when he was driving was cold black tea, because the tea would heat up in the car during the race!
7) Damon is a huge music fan and an accomplished musician. He contributed a guitar solo to ‘Demolition Man’ on Def Leppard’s album Euphoria, which was released in 1999.
8) Amongst the various sponsor logos on Damon’s signature helmet, you can see the insignia for the London Rowing Club, which is where his mother and father first met.
9) Damon was president of the British Racing Drivers Club from 2006 to 2011, an exclusive club that is home to the most successful racing drivers from Great Britain and the Commonwealth.
10) As part of his work with the BRDC, Damon was instrumental in bringing the British Grand Prix to Silverstone – currently the only circuit in the country that is licensed to run a grand prix in Great Britain.
An Evening with Damon Hill takes place at Chateau Impney on Friday 3 June. Tickets are priced at £75 per person and include a delicious three-course dinner, a talk from Damon and a Q&A session. Click on the button below to book your tickets online, or call our Events Team on 01905 77 44 11.